What are the system requirements for ActionFire?
ActionFire is for Photoshop CS5 and above, including CC. It runs on both Windows and Mac systems.
Does ActionFire come with actions?
No, ActionFire does NOT come with actions – it is designed for people who have a lot of Photoshop actions and want to run them quickly instead of scrolling through their Actions palette; however, check the Resources page for suggestions for great actions! (both free and available for purchase)
I am getting an ‘ActionScript’ error. What’s the deal?
There is a known Adobe issue when using scripts and plugins in CS5 while running 32-bit mode. If you fall into this circumstance, it is possible that an ‘ActionScript’ error could happen (which, ironically, has nothing to do with the name ‘ActionFire’, it is coincidence!! :( ) The fix for this is to remove your Photoshop preferences file. In doing so, you will have to re-setup your Photoshop workspace and any custom shortcuts you have created. You should only have to do this once, NOT every time you run Photoshop or ActionFire. To reset your preferences file, you can hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Cmd+Opt+Shift (Mac) when you launch Photoshop. If you are getting this error under any other circumstance (other than CS5 + 32-bit mode), please email me so Adobe can be notified.
Can I use the arrows to move through the list of actions in ActionFire?
Yes, to ‘arrow through’ the list of actions in the ActionFire dialog, simply hit the ‘Tab’ key and then your up and down arrows.
I updated Photoshop, and now ActionFire is not working!
Make sure you have the most current version of ActionFire installed, version 1.3.1. You may need to purchase the most current version if you have not already, as it had to be rewritten from the ground up after a recent Photoshop upgrade.
If you DO have the most current version, the Photoshop update could have wiped out your Scripts folder. If that is the case, go ahead and create the Scrips folder, and drop your ActionFire script in the correct location:
PC(32-bit): C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop ##\Presets\Scripts\
PC(64-bit): C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop ## (64 Bit)\Presets\Scripts\
Mac: <hard drive>/Applications/Adobe Photoshop ##/Presets/Scripts/
What are some ways I can make ActionFire search even faster?
- ActionFire loads the actions into the ActionFire dialog in the same order as they appear in your Actions Palette. If you want to reorder they way they appear in the ActionFire dialog, simply reorder them in your Actions Palette.
- Type the letters that make your action appear first in the list; it’s faster than using your arrow keys to scroll through the results. See Tip #2 in the video below for more on this.
- If you have A WHOLE BUNCH of actions in your Actions Palette (like I do!), it may take the ActionFire dialog a second to populate with your actions. The great news is this – you don’t have to wait for the dialog to appear to begin typing! Simply hit your keyboard shortcut, begin typing (even before the dialog appears), and hit enter. Sometimes I do that all so fast that the dialog never even ends up displaying because it is already running the action!
- You may also consider making backup copies and removing actions you never use from your Actions Palette.
- See the video below for tips on searching.