“How do you make eyes sparkle in Photoshop?” Like everything else in Photoshop, there are numerous ways to do this. Below is my go-to method for making eyes POP! There is also a FREE action at the end of the tutorial.
1. Start with a well-lit image. Here is a close up of the image we will use:
2. Add Sharpening. In this method, you want to over-sharpen so you can paint in the effect at a lower opacity later.
- Duplicate your background layer
- Go to Filter -> Sharpen -> Smart Sharpen. The following settings seem to work well on a hi-res image, but you can adjust this if you need to. Remeber we are over-sharpening:
3.Now we are going to brighten – but again we are going to over-do it so we can paint in the effect at a lower opacity. I used a curves layer and pulled up the midtones to brighten:
Yikes! Here is the effect as a whole on our photo, over-sharpened and over-brightened:
4. Next we are going to create a Group so we can add a mask. Highlight the Sharpen layer and the Brighten layer (I renamed those as I was editing) in your layers palette and hit Ctrl/Cmd + G. Then add a Layer Mask and invert it. Inverting the mask removes the effect from our photo. Here is what the Layers Palette looks like with the Group expanded:
5. All we simply have to do now is to paint on our black layer mask with a soft white brush at a reduced opacity. I have my brush set at 20% opacity and then paint on the entire eye, avoiding the lids. Here is the After (if you’re on a computer, roll over the image to see the Before as well):
Since we did lots of extra sharpening and brightening, we have the flexibility to build up the effect or to reduce it down to taste.
Here is the zoomed-out image after editing the eyes (If you’re on a computer, roll over the image to see a comparison with the before):
You can download Polished Picture’s FREE Sparkling Eyes Action here!
Thank you for stopping by. ;)